Oct 31, 2016
Davao Yoga Scene
GPS waypoint: 7°03'51.7"N 125°36'27.8"E
Location: Davao City, Philippines
Davao's Yoga Scene
The yoga scene is vibrant in Davao. There are a sprinkling of studios and gyms offering traditional approaches. I taught a special class at Yoga Davao upon my arrival in Davao, followed by a regular teaching schedule at Holiday Gym, a private class and subbing for Joanna at Plana Forma.
Always the Student
As I am the teacher, I am also the student. I take great delight attending classes of Joanna where I am taken all the way to my edge. She leaves me drenched on my mat and sore the following day (in a great way)! I frequent the class of May Bel where I fumble, stumble and fall. At the end of it, she leaves me with a surgical smile. Fritz's myriad of Ashtanga and Pilates classes offer challenge and grounding. I am also grateful to Melanie, Ksenia and Jumil for allowing me into their classes and imparting their yoga on me.
Holiday Gym & Spa Yogis
With my teaching classes at Holiday Gym, I am once again reunited with the wonderful yogis I met from previous visits and meeting new ones. They've opened doors for me when they didn't have to. They took me to a wine and cheese indulgence at Malagos Farm and invited me for breakfast (which I couldn't make it to, but later found out it was a surprise despedida for me!). They are generous to a fault. I can't say enough about them.
Plana Forma Yogis
While subbing for Joanna at Plana Forma, I met and somehow bonded with its yoga community. It was a pleasant curve ball I didn't expect as I was invited to teach a private class for the group and surprised with a birthday cake at the end of the class. It was followed by a lavish array of specialty food as we gathered around a circular table. Other members of the tribe followed and a great chillout ensued as we traded stories and insight. As the new kid on the block, I was amazed by their animation and fanfare. It was a fun group.
conducting a class at Plana Forma
Not only do I attend other teacher's classes, I get ample time to deepen my practice as well and see how I can apply different disciplines to yoga. On rope-skipping, I tried doing Bhastrika/Kapalabhati breathing, depending on my current need for air. On forward bends, I am increasingly holding my breath on Bahya Khumbaha while doing Udiyanna Bandha - instead of continuing my breath. On Sirsasana, I try to effect long thin breaths followed by Antara and Bahya Khumbaka - to a point of failure. Except for the Sirsasana, there is no manual or book to get advice from - I simply have to employ them on my body and see how my body reacts. Other sources say I am be frying my nervous system while some say I am funneling energy for maximum strength. I continue to observe how my body is reacting to it as I thread new ground.
Teaching Method and Objective
With the 3 months I spent teaching yoga in Davao, I found my yoga-teaching going beyond asana, evolving more into empowering my students regain control of their lives and optimize their health. Of course, this is all practised on-the-mat with clear and specific applications off-the-mat. I teach them how to take control when recurring painful thoughts from the past or worries about the future creep-up and render them bitter and fretful in the here-and-now. How does yoga come-in when an asshole cuts them off the road? How do they optimize their digestive system to flush-out digestive residues and maximize nutrient-extraction from the food they eat? How do they strengthen their eyesight and make it impervious to eye disease? How do they stop the vicious cycle of flight-or-fight and allow the body to relax, recover and heal? I spend more time talking to them about the underlying theories and concept behind the asanas to deepen their understanding. Pranayama, Bandha, Kumbhaka and Meditation are an intergral addition to the asanas when I teach my class now. Increasingly, I refine my teaching to apply direct applications to day-to-day life for balance, vitality and strength.
As a traveling yogi, I am privileged to be welcomed by the yoga community where I end up. Davao is special. And Dabawenyos are special. Davao's yoga scene is dynamic and vibrant. The yogis and yoginis making up the yogic landscape are strong and eager to deepen their practice, taking it to the next level. They inspire and motivate me to break my mold and find fertile ground to explore more yoga possibilities. Moments spent with the yoginis and yogis of Davao on and off the mat are golden. I don't know when the wind takes me back here, but I will always look forward to it. Many many thanks to everyone who added color, dimension and warmth to my visit. I am privileged to be within your community.
ps - If you want me to participate and write about your yoga studio or your yoga practice, email me. For my complete yoga profile, you can visit this page: YOGA by Gigit
(Oct 11, 2016) A practice that allows possibility of connecting to what we already have and who we already are, to be present not just on our mats but also to ourselves, the other people and the community around. So blessed & grateful to attend a class of a great travelling yoga instructor, Gigit Sulit who developed his own brand of yoga that includes pranayama (breath exercise) & meditation like we did earlier today and everybody's so excited for another session on saturday. Thank you sir!
Jeanett Yu Yutankin
(Oct 30, 2016) I enjoyed joining your class Gigit. Simple but intense. Hope you can come back soon. Good luck and take care.
Mel Seco Sosoban
(Oct 30, 2016) Looking forward for the next yoga session Sir Gigit. Thanks for the many learnings which we can apply in our day to day life. Take care and Godbless.
(Oct 30, 2016) Thank you for the experience, teacher Gigit...we'll miss you
(Oct 30, 2016) Di man lang tayo nagkita :( Have a safe trip
(Oct 30, 2016) Till me meet again Git! No goodbyes! Godspeed!
(Oct 30, 2016) Safe travels Gigit!
(Oct 30, 2016) Best of luck Git. Let me know if you ever drop by Manila (QC). Hope to see you one of these days!
Marie Estrellita S. Tolentino-Rojas
(Oct 30, 2016) You will be missed, Teacher Gigit! Godspeed!
Joanna Co Lizares
(Oct 30, 2016) Thank you for your wisdom, mentorship, and friendship.
Oct 31, 2016
Davao City, Philippines
- Bahay ni Tuding - central Poblacion location, wifi, hands-on owner
160 San Pedro Street, 8000 Davao City
0947 361 3544 | 7°03'57.6"N 125°36'28.3"E
- The Pinnacle Hotel and Suites - central location, new management, newly renovated
Sta. Ana Avenue, Davao City 8000, Philippines
(+63) 932-8708621 | 906-3185885 | 7°04'34.2"N 125°36'54.2"E
- The Apo View Hotel - Davao's iconic hotel, old world charm, casino
150 J. Camus Street, Davao City Philippines 8000
+63 (82) 221-6430 to 40 | 7°04'09.2"N 125°36'27.4"E
- North Zen Basic Spaces - great rooms at affordable prices
Sobrecarey St. (corner Lapu-Lapu St.), Davao City, 8000
(082) 295.3997 | 7°04'43.0"N 125°37'04.3"E
- Urban Living Zen Hotel - newly opened - all NEW!
F.s. Dizon Bacaca, 8000 Davao City
(082) 287 3133 | 7°05'28.4"N 125°36'22.3"E
- The Royal Mandaya Hotel - heart of downtown Davao City
J. Palma Gil Street, Davao City, 8000
(+63 82) 225.8888 | 7°04'09.4"N 125°36'36.8"E
- Alu Hotel Davao - central downtown location
M. Roxas Avenue corner Padre Faura Street, Davao
+63 82 227 5232 | 7°04'07.7"N 125°36'51.7"E
- One Oasis Davao - hotel accommodation in a condo unit
Eco-west Drive, Ecoland, Davao City
email@example.com | 0925.500.3211 | 7°02'49.2"N 125°35'19.1"E
- Apollo Van Rental - Davao City tour, Samal Island tour, airport transfer
0925.500.3211 | firstname.lastname@example.org
yoga | health | fitness
- one of the cleanest potable water in the country
- smoking is banned from commercial establishments
- pineapple samurais are endemic here and nowhere else in the country (pineapple vendors who cut-up whole pineapples into chunks with just a few strokes of their carving knives)
- public utility drivers conspicuously display their IDs
- durian Mecca of the Philippines (not to mention Marang, Mangosteen and Sweet Pomelo)
- you want to add some more? please submit on the form below
- the weighing scale of fruit vendors specially the durian push cart vendors are a blatant cheat - showing almost twice the actual weight
- Revisiting Davao Aug 22-Oct 31, 2016
- A Roof Over my Head in Davao Aug 22-Oct 31, 2016
- Davao Yoga Scene Oct 31, 2016
- Pranayama Oct 24, 2016
- Yoga Beyond the Mat Oct 21, 2016
- Grilled Tuna Overload in Davao Oct 13, 2016
- Duterte Mania in Davao Oct 12, 2016
- Sirsasana, Sarvangasana - Yoga Makaranda II Oct 7, 2016
- Tirumalai Krishnamacharya Oct 5, 2016
- Ashtanga Yoga with James Fritz Freire at Holiday Gym and Spa Oct 1, 2016
- There was a Bomb Explosion? Sep 30, 2016
- Jin in Davao Sep 29, 2016
- Scrubs and Hilot at Holiday Gym and Spa Sep 22-29, 2016
- The Fabulous Dabawenyos Aug 22-Sep 26, 2016
- Nirvana Breathing Fitness with Lita C. Quisumbing Sep 21, 2016
- Massage, Sauna and Ear Candling at Holiday Spa and Gym Sep 17-19, 2016
- Downpour in Davao Sep 18, 2016
- Lounge One Yoga Sequence by May Bel Le at North Zen Hotel Sep 16, 2016
- Celebrating Davao's King of Fruits - Durian! Sep 11, 2016
- The Blast that Rocked Davao Sep 2, 2016
- Hatha Flow Yoga with Joanna Lizares Co at Holiday Spa and Gym Aug. 31, 2016
- Conducting a Power Yoga Class at Yoga Davao Aug 29, 2016
- Good Eats with Mel Pangan's Davao Food Tour Aug 26, 2016
- Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) Aug 25, 2016
- A Gifted Dell Laptop from the Usual Suspect Aug. 24, 2016
- The Duterte Phenomenon Oct 21, 2015
- 20 Days in Davao City July 4- 24, 2014
- Goodbye Davao...Again! Sep 28, 2013
- Wine and Cheese at Malagos Farm House Sep 27, 2013
- Custom-made Peanut Butter at Davao City's Bankerohan Market Sep 27, 2013
- Yoga in Davao Sep 26, 2013
- Celebrating 25 Years of Habitat for Humanity Philippines Sep 18, 2013
- Clobbered in a Vicious Karate Match Sep 17, 2013
- Back Into the Black Sep 1, 2013
- No Reply Aug 30, 2013
- Full Body-Cavity Search without the Latex Aug 25, 2013
- Fun Day with Crocodile Sonny and Sports Unlimited Dynamic Duo, Dyan Castillejo and Marc Nelson Aug 15, 2013
- Fun! Fun! at Maxima AquaFun, Samal Island Aug 11, 2013
- Goodbye Davao Jan 22, 2013
- Davao City's Peace and Order Jan 21, 2013
- Holiday Spa Yoga, Davao City Jan 20, 2013
- Free Yoga at People's Park Jan 12, 2013
- Davao City: Family Ties Dec 15-22, 2012
- Breakup Diaries: Chance Encounter in Davao City Dec 19, 2012
- Davao City June 20-23, 2009
- Davao City March 18-20, 2008
- Mount Apo March 15-18, 2008
»» next story: A Roof Over my Head in Davao
»» next Yoga story: Yoga at Palawan SandCastles, Busuanga
»» back to Yoga
»» back to Homepage