July 17, 2016
Vinyasa Yoga with Daniel Aaron at Radiantly Alive Yoga Studio
Location: Jl Jembawan no.3, Padang Tegal Kaja Ubud, Bali
It was a packed studio as seasoned and newbie yogis and yoginis squeezed themselves mat-to-mat to do their practice with a popular yoga teacher in a popular studio in a chique section of Ubud. When Daniel Aaron spoke, his imposing presence brought everyone in readiness for the session.
Daniel Aaron looked the guru part - shaven head and braided goatie. When he talked, his voice carried across the room with a commanding presence. He comes across as someone who has been through the yoga trenches in the ensuing years, having 'done this' and 'done that'. His anecdotal narrative was a mix of compelling life experience, self-help, philosophy and reference to the teachings of the Yoga sutras - he is not limited to asana cues. He can be irreverent if need be. While talking, if he is not walking around, he would play his accordion-like intrument. He is charismatic and can mesmerize.
Daniel's Vinyasa sequence is challenging but with enough resolve, doable. It was an intermediate class. The poses were held long as he sprinkled bits and pieces of his narrative. I could feel my sweat drip down as I was dying on the mat holding a warrior pose for what seemed like an eternity. It was difficult getting your full range as we were packed. They were there for Daniel! It's not because of expedient time slot, not because of studio proximity - they seem to be loyal followers of Daniel.
Eunice was a pleasant Easter Egg. A lovely yogini from Johor, Malaysia, we had a small talk while waiting for the class to start. After, we bumped into each other again and decided to check out a popular cafe, Seniman Coffee Studio in the neighborhood. Good yoga, good coffee, good company and good conversation - doesn't get any better than that.
Radiantly Alive is located in a chique neighborhood close to the busy intersection of Jl Hanoman and Jl Ubud Raya. It makes for a good stroll after yoga. Across the street is the popular cafe, Bali Buda. A short walk is Seniman Coffee Studio. While walking around, to my almost ecstatic delight, I found a Bitcoin Exchange center - the first ever I've seen. Too bad they were closed. I've always been fascinated by Bitcoin. I'll be coming back and perhaps open my first Bitcoin account.
Daniel's class is one to experience. In this case, it's the teacher making it all happen. He inspires confidence that you push yourself to reach the edge of your safety edge...to hang on longer...to sweat more...to reach the bind. Any yoga teacher can tell the students to do a Downward Dog. So how do you make it unique and interesting as a teacher to engage your students doing a Downward Dog? Daniel seems to have the answer.
Thank you Daniel for making me a part of today's practice. You are certainly one personality to remember. Namaste.
What a day! great yoga, great teacher, great neighborhood, new friend and Bitcoin! And it's not even noon yet. Ubud never cease to wow me on every turn. Thank you Ubud, thank you universe!
--- Gigit (TheLoneRider)
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Radiantly AliveLocation: Jl Jembawan no.3, Padang Tegal Kaja Ubud, Bali
GPS: 8°30'33.7"S 115°16'01.2"E
Tel: +62 (0)361 978 055
Offerings: Vinyasa Yoga, Tibetan Heart Yoga, Iyengar Inspired, Pilates, Fly High, Roll and Release, Ashtanga Mysore, Yoga Dance, Salsa, Arm Balance Foundations, Beginners Yoga
Leave a comment?
Next stop: Power Yoga with Ni Made Murni at The Yoga Barn
Ubud FYI / Tips
- the tourist area where most of the hotels, restaurants, ticket offices, tour operators are, is concentrated within the rectangular area covered by Jalan Raya Ubud, Jalan Hanuman and Jalan Monkey Forest. Best to book your hotel within this area
How to Get to Ubud from Denpasar Airport (Ngurah Rai International Airport)
- best, cheapest, fastest and most comfortable (this is what I did for Ubud and in Singapore) - at the airport, talk to other white travelers waiting on the same gate if they are going to Ubud. Arrange for a taxi pool. With 3 guys, you split the taxi fare (usually IDR 200k + IDR 5k for airport entrance) three-ways. You end up paying just slightly more (IDR 68k) than roughing it through a series of bemos and vans.
- take a bemo (public bus) to Kuta (IDR 6k) then take a shuttle bus by Perama to Ubud (IDR 50k)
Ubud Cost Index(US$1 = Indonesian Rupiah IDR 13,140 = Philippines Php 47.00 as of July 1, 2016)
- IDR 30-35k one small bottle beer with live band
- IDR 4.5k 1.5 liter drinking water
- IDR 70k one hour massage
- IDR 15k warung food in hawker style food cart
- IDR 15 coffee in trendy cafes
- IDR 35k bicycle rental
- IDR 20k per kilo or IDR 2k/piece laundry (although I've seen one at IDR 8k per kilo)
- IDR 60k shuttle to airport
- IDR 130k bunk bed in a dorm room, shared toilet
- IDR 8k internet cafe
- IDR 50k haircut
- IDR 80k cultural performances
- IDR 130k standard drop-in yoga class
Indonesia Blogs by TheLoneRider
- A First-timer in Jakarta June 23-25, 2016
- Visiting the White Crater (Kawa Putih) of Bandung Jun 28, 2016
- Exploring Bogor, Indonesia Jun 25-27, 2016
- 21 Days of Abundance, Yoga and Friendship in Ubud June 30-July 21, 2016
- Hatha Yoga with Andrea Paige at The Yoga Barn July 21, 2016
- Roll and Release by Rusty Davis at Radiantly Alive Yoga Studio July 20, 2016
- Kundalini Yoga with Ketut Bandiastra at Taman Hati Yoga Ashram July 20, 2016
- Kundalini Meditative Movement with Sandeh at White Lotus Meditation Center July 19, 2016
- Andrea Paige - Health Crusader and Yogini July 18, 2016
- Power Yoga with Ni Made Murni at The Yoga Barn July 18, 2016
- Vinyasa Yoga with Daniel Aaron at Radiantly Alive Yoga Studio July 17, 2016
- Mass Cremation (Ngaben) in Ubud with Louisa July 16, 2016
- Mysore Ashtanga with Laruga at Ubud Yoga Center July 15, 2016
- Kalimasada at Yayasan Segara Giri July 14, 2016
- Hiking Campuhan Ridge July 14, 2016
- Vinyasa Flow with Nina at Intuitive Flow Yoga Studio July 14, 2016
- Laughter Yoga with Kadek Suambara at Ambar Ashram July 12, 2016
- Dance til you Drop at Bollywood Night with Punnu Wasu July 11, 2016
- Mayan Calendar Readings by Vasumi July 10, 2016
- Yoga Pranala with Chiara at Intuitive Flow Yoga Studio July 10, 2016
- Visiting the Elephant Cave (Goa Gajah) July 9, 2016
- Pranawayu Yoga with I Ketut Bandiastra, S. Ag at Taman Hati Yoga Ashram July 7, 2016
- Astrology Talk at The Yoga Barn July 6, 2016
- Yoga with Sasha Lang at the Ubud Yoga House July 6, 2016
- Ananda Mandala Meditation by Punnu Wasu at The Yoga Barn Jul 4/5, 2016
- The Wild Monkeys of the Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary July 7, 2016
»» next Yoga story: Power Yoga with Ni Made Murni at The Yoga Barn
»» back to Yoga
»» back to Homepage
2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | ALL BLOGS