Mar 8, 2015
Singapore Yoga at Yoga Inc.
GPS waypoint: 1°18'35.7"N 103°52'55.2"E
Location: 100 Guillemard Road ,#01-08, Singapore 399718 (Old Singapore Badminton Hall)
Yoga Inc. is professionally run with attention to details. It has 3 studios, varying in sizes. Mats are provided - thick professional quality mats that offer grip even when wet. There is a shower facility equipped with soap and shampoo, towels are provided and lockers come with individual padlocks. They have a water fountain dispensing hot and cold water. Parking space is ample.
It's the shower facility that wins me - few yoga studios I know of offer this. It's convenient to take a shower after the session and be off to an evening event - no need to go back home for a shower.
It was in June 2014 since I had a regular yoga practice on a sustained basis. I was teaching and attending classes and immersed in the yogic community of Gen San City at the Marichi Yoga House. The months following my Southeast Asian travels saw only a minor scratch on the surface as I busy-ed myself with all the packing and unpacking. Now in Singapore, I find this yogic oasis I would call home - Yoga Inc.. I just knocked on the door and offered to teach for free - something I do if and when in a new place. Owner and yogini, Ashly was kind enough to take me in, allowing me to attend as many classes as I need for the full month of March. Ashly, my Good Samaritan.
Yoga Singapore Style
I've attended 4 classes so far, from 4 different teachers, teaching different disciplines - Hatha (Christine and KC), Core (Jing) and Hot Classic (Catherine). From the 4 classes, I see the common denominator - the teachers are focused and keen on body anatomy, cueing on marginal shifts that go a long way. The asanas are done a little different and the sequence also slightly different but always harder than a typical Philippine-style yoga. I would say their regular class is comparable to a Veer-level class in Cebu. I always welcome new and different ways of doing things. Initially, it was challenging but greatly rewarding after the class. I've learned new things from how they do it - if only I can remember all of them. It's so good to be back. I feel my strength and fitness level coming back. I am grateful to these teachers (and of course, Ashly) for having me in their class.
This is only the start as I intend to continue my daily practice while I'm in Singapore. With my scheduled teaching class in March 21, I should be up to speed, keeping in mind, the benchmark is high.
Thank you Ashly!
Little India - Little India is the main tourism hub in Singapore. Friday and Saturday nights become animated with the night market
Chinatown -colorful and animated with Chinese ware shopping, sumptuous street food and hawker-style eats, try Ah Balling Peanut Soup
Orchard Road - upscale shopping and glitzy night life
Arab Street - backpacker dorms, shisha smoking with Middle Eastern atmosphere
Singapore Zoo - experience the night zoo, S$38
Fountain of Wealth - at Suntec City, largest fountain in the world (Guinness Book of Records in 1998), shop-til-you-drop
The Southern Ridges - best trekking trails in Singapore extending 10kms through lush forest canopy. Bring water, sunscreen and a hat
Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery - biggest Buddhist temple in Singapore
Marina Bay Sands - Singapore's most iconic building and most expensive at US$5.5B. Imagine a surf board on top of three skyscrapers
- Arcadia Hotel - stylish, modern, urbane, cool and confident. Jalan Besar district
32 Hamilton Road, Singapore 209201
+65 6718 0700 | email@example.com | 1°18'42.0"N 103°51'41.1"E
- 7 Wonders Hostel - backpacker community, sleeping capsules, free wifi, complimentary breakfast, live English Premier League, dining, motion sensor lighting, alfresco outdoor sitting area
257 Jalan Besar, Singapore 208930
tel: (+65) 6291 3774 | 1°18'36.2"N 103°51'29.8"E
- Meadows Hostel - newly opened, all new and clean, backpacker capsule beds, central Lavender District location, 24/7 compli tea and coffee, wifi, compli breakfast
7A Hamilton Road, Kallang, Singapore, Singapore 209178
tel: 6298.1323 | 1°18'40.2"N 103°51'38.0"E
100 Guillemard Road ,#01-08 (Old Singapore Badminton Hall), Singapore 399718
Pop-in rate is S$35/session (Php 1150 | US$26), but it gets cheaper with membership
- Mini-Life in Singapore August 8-22, 2016
- Peoplescape of Singapore Aug. 8-22, 2016
- Discovering the Neighborhood Cafes of Singapore Aug 8-22, 2016
- Biological Cell Regulation (BCR) Therapy at Chang Wellness Aug 16, 2016
- Getting my Xiaomi Redmi Note3 Smart Phone Aug. 9, 2016
- A Roof Over my Head in Singapore Aug. 8-22, 2016
- 2-Hour Detention at Singapore's Immigration and Checkpoints Authority August 8, 2016
- Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew Mar 23, 2015
- Life Hacking in Singapore Mar 22, 2015
- Exploring More of Singapore Feb 21 - Mar 22, 2015
- Power Yoga Class at Yoga Inc., Singapore Mar 21, 2015
- Touring Marina Bay Sands Mar 17, 2015
- The Singapore Magic Mar 16, 2015
- Singapore Yoga at Yoga Inc. Mar 8, 2015
- Singapore on a Shoe String Feb 20, 2015
- Things to do in Singapore Oct 20, 2013
- Singapore Girl July 21, 2013
- Lee Kuan Yew and Ferdinand Marcos Jan 26, 2003
Lora Frances Lorente
(Mar 9, 2015) Yey! Enjoy your new adventure :)
(Mar 9, 2015) Again, I want pictures! I want to see you, Git
Bernadette Wan Pacana
(Mar 9, 2015) Yay!!! Hope to be in your class one day!
(Mar 9, 2015) Soooo happy for you!!
Mar 8, 2015
»» next story: The Singapore Magic
»» next Yoga story: Power Yoga Class at Yoga Inc., Singapore
»» back to Yoga
»» back to Homepage