Oct. 15-20, 2014
Riva Surya Bangkok Hotel
(5 stars out of 5) - a must-experience
Room Occupied: Deluxe Riva Room (40m2 guest room, contemporary Thai décor, King bed, tiled balcony with panoramic river view of the Chao Phraya River)
Location: 23 Phra Arthit Road, Phranakorn, Bangkok 10200, Thailand
GPS waypoint: 13°45'43.4"N 100°29'35.1"E
Phone: +66 2 6335000
Fax: +66 2 6335050
Member Since: Oct. 18, 2014
Riva Surya is a luxurious boutique hotel located alongside the scenic Chao Praya River that traverses across the heart of Bangkok. The hotel's motif and theme are consistent throughout from the ornate wood carvings depicting Thai culture to the subtle and muted elegance in its interior design - it's not loud and imposing.
It's location is one of its many draws - centrally located and within a stone's throw to the animated Khaosan District and essential iconic Bangkok landmarks like the Grand Palace and Wat Pho, its location along the river also affords its discriminating guests a water-mode transport via the Chao Praya Express boats. Many buses ply the Phra Arthit Road which connects it to practically all destinations in the city. Riva Surya's location gives you access to all of Bangkok.
Like most luxurious hotels, Riva Surya offers the utmost in comfort and convenience through its facilities - a well equipped gym, fine-dining resto (babble & rum), swimming pool and outdoor resto seating overlooking the river. At night, it makes for a very relaxing wind-down as you sip wine and watch the party boats cruise by.
Room amenities are first rate as can be expected - cleanliness, attention to detail, toiletries (including a sewing kit!), hot and cold shower (with the rainfall shower head), spacious setting with balcony overlooking the Chao Praya River, the most comfortable bed and sheets, flat screen cable tv, fast internet, etc. The only thing I would improve on is the modulation of the bidet. Other than that, my room is perfect.
Bangkok is intense and the day usually ends feeling exhausted from all the walking, all the sights and tours, the eating, shopping on Bangkok's numerous and diversified malls (from mall just on clothing, mall just on electronic gadgets, etc.). The last thing you look for at the end of the day is a comfortable bed and all the conveniences a first rate hotel can offer to pamper your weary back and body. With its friendly, efficient and helpful staff, Riva Surya is the perfect place to go back to after such a day.
Google Map Location
- by cab from the airport, it's about Baht 300 to 400 including airport taxi surcharge
- by bus from anywhere in the city, these buses ply the Phra Arthit Road and you can get off in front of the hotel - #3, #15, #33, #53, #65, #524, #64
- by boat thru the Chao Praya River, get off at the Phra Arthit pier
- You can get around Bangkok using the trains, buses, tuk-tuks or the boat. Here is the transport map to give you a heads-up.
- take the MRT train to Bang Sue Station. Take the #2 Exit to the provincial trains
- Proceed to Counter 2. You will see an information booth, a train schedule chart and the ticket counter. Choose the train and pay at the ticket counter.
- daily train schedule:
- 8:48am - #7 Train, arrive Chiang Mai 7:30pm, not sleeper, B638
- 2:06pm - #109 Train, arrive Chiang Mai 4:05am, sleeper
- 6:31pm - #9 Premium Train, arrive Chiang Mai 7:15am, sleeper, B938 upper deck, B1038 lower deck
- 7:56pm - #13 Train, arrive Chiang Mai 8:40am, sleeper, B768 upper deck, B838 lower deck
- 10:22pm - #51 Train, arrive Chiang Mai 12:10pm, sleeper, 3rd class B270 (non sleeper), 2nd class B438, B728 upper deck, B798 lower deck
- 15 Days in Bangkok July 10-24, 2018
- Peoplescape: Bangkok July 10-24, 2018
- Hatha and Yantra Yoga Fusion July 10-24, 2018
- Revisiting Terminal 21 Mall, Bangkok July 23, 2018
- Rope Skipping, 4mins Full-on July 22, 2018
- Sunday Visit to Chatuchak Weekend Market July 17, 2018
- Fork on the Road: Abundance or Poverty by Choice? July 16, 2018
- Loving Bangkok All Over Again Feb 22-26, 2016
- Adventure Hostel Review Feb 22-26, 2016
- Hotel Review: Riva Surya Bangkok Oct. 20, 2014
- The Shopping Malls of Bangkok Oct 6-20, 2014
- Bangkok's Street Food Delight Oct 6-20, 2014
- Bangkok Revisited 3 Oct 6-20, 2014
- Bangkok Dec 31, 2005
Oct. 20, 2014
»» next story: Exploring Sihanoukville, Cambodia
»» next Hotel Review story: Adventure Hostel
»» back to Hotel Review
»» back to Homepage