Oct 23-29, 2012
Chillingout in Coron Town, Busuanga
After lazying for days in Camp Calauit, I decided to move to Coron Town to check out what's happening. As inviting it was to dive the rest of the WWII wrecks or do the island tour, my heart wasn't really into any adventure. I just wanted to find me a quiet and comfortable place where I could catch up on my mounting work. Fortunately, I found that place - Coron's newest and most luxurious garden resort hotel, Sophia's Garden Resort.
Forward-Thinking Owners and Managers
It didn't happen that way immediately. I tried talking to a few hotel owners to interest them to what I can do for them on the internet. Unfortunately, and this happens quite often, is that the owner or the hotel manager would be adept hotel operators but remain unappreciative about the internet as a marketing tool. They only equate the internet to Facebook and emails. But as far as using the internet to reach a global audience through search-engine-optimized webpages, it goes over their heads. They're more comfortable paying a guy to hang-out a street corner and hand-out flyers. Luckily, I found a hotel manager who is adept at information technology, who immediately saw value in what I was putting on the table.
Luxurious Garden Hotel
I was impressed by Sophia's Garden Resort's expansive manicured garden setting. With it's 4-pool system and attention to detail on just about everything (garden, decor, trimmings, etc.), I was surprised to learn they only have 8 rooms. Service was friendly, efficient and accommodating. The plated breakfast (included with room) was adequate, and the 3 choices, reasonable.
Plus 1 for Breakfast
I stayed 4 days in Sophia's doing my signature "plus 1 breakfast" for friends. I'm glad Al Linsangan (of Calamianes Expeditions) joined me on one morning. I remain impressed with his vision for a social enterprise designed to benefit many - even if others don't get it. Outback Greg (of Tribal Adventures) also became a guest. The breakfast afforded us to talk about Coron, business and the future, in a leisurely manner.
5-Stars? 1-Star? It's All the Same
Accommodation is extreme for me - either it's high-end or hole-in-the-wall. I usually make a business proposal to the best and most luxurious hotels in the area. If I don't find one and I have to pay for my lodging, I revert back to my guerilla backpacker mindset - I stay in the cheapest room possible. We're talking common toilets, clogged drain, fan room and weathered beds. It's all the same to me - at least the sensation is the same. It's the value people equate with the sensation that makes it either miserable for them or not.
Coron remains busy, very much like the way I left it 10 months ago. There are a few new ambitious hotels that may cause the industry to rethink the way they do business. One is of course, Sophia's Garden Resort. Another one which is still under construction is Corto's - run by Frenchmen from Marseilles. Newly opened too is Mikasa Hotel by an amiable guy from Malabon.
There was still a lot of work for me to catch up on, but I couldn't get a hotel extension. It's usually a sign for me to move on because there's something out there for me. Next stop? San Jose, Mindoro. I haven't been there yet. If things workout, I may stay there longer than I imagined.
Busuanga, Palawan, Philippines
hotel, beach house and accommodation
tour and expedition
- Tribal Adventures Tours - multi-day kayak expedition, day tours, island tours, mountain biking, snorkeling, hiking
+63 998.999.3049 | email@example.com
- Calamianes Expeditions & Ecotours - island tours, community based ecotourism experience
+639193054363 / +639202546553 / +63 9152543246 / 02 984 7795 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- beaches, islands, snorkeling, scuba diving, wreck diving
- you want to add some more? please submit on the form below
- slow and unreliable internet
- Beach Life at Palawan SandCastles Oct 31-Nov 22, 2016
- Mountain Biking the Trails of Busuanga with Outback Greg of Tribal Adventures Oct 31-Nov 22, 2016
- Yoga at Palawan SandCastles, Busuanga Oct 31-Nov 22, 2016
- In Search of Dugong Nov 21, 2016
- 3-Day Circumnavigation of Coron Island by Kayak Nov 17-19, 2016
- Exploring Culion Nov 5-7, 2016
- Traveling with Cheng Oct 31-Nov 8, 2016
- Tribal Adventures in Coron with Outback Greg Jan 13-17, 2016
- Chillingout in Coron Town, Busuanga Oct 23-29, 2012
- Camp Life in Camp Calauit Oct 18-23, 2012
- Mountain Biking Fund Raising Event in Cheey, Busuanga Oct 20, 2012
- Salvacion-Cheey Traverse Oct 19, 2012
- Into The Black Jan 31, 2012
- Blurring the Lines of Work and Play Jan 30, 2012
- Free-Diving Calumbuyan Reef, Coral Garden and Lusong Gunboat Jan 14, 2012
- Exploring Dive Link Resort Jan 13, 2012
- Coron Island Tour - Malcapuya, Banana and Bulog Islands Jan 10, 2012
- Wreck Diving in Coron with Rocksteady Dive Center Jan 8, 2012
- Diving Barracuda Lake and Kogyo Maru Jan 4, 2012
- Banol Beach, Barracuda Lake, Calachuchi Reef, Siete Pecados Marine Park, Alcatraz Reef Island Tour Dec 27, 2011
- Coron Ultimate Island Tour by Calamianes Expeditions Ecotours Dec 24, 2011
- Life's a Beach at Camp Calauit Dec 17-31, 2011
- Traversing the Northern Coast of Busuanga Island Dec 14-16, 2011
- Skin Diving and Beach Camping at Calumbuyan Island Mar 10-12, 2010
- Sea Kayaking, Beach Camping and Skin Diving with Outback Greg on his Tribal Adventures Tour Mar 9-14, 2010
- Coron Skin Diving Mar 30, 2008
- Coron Kayaking Mar 31, 2008
»» next Traveling story: Exploring San Jose, Mindoro
»» back to Traveling
»» back to Homepage